Ok, now back to what we love most… RECIPE FLIPS! Making a debut on the blog today… JACKFRUIT, the largest hanging fruit! This superfruit is packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber and has a mild flavor and texture similar to pulled pork! Yes, pulled pork. Perfect for vegans, vegetarians, and carnivores looking for a delicious and healthy meat substitute.
Joe and I buy jackfruit at Trader Joe’s and I believe it is also on Amazon. It comes pre-cut and ready to cook. Check out this flavorful, easy to make, satisfying and delicious recipe for Vegan Pulled ‘Pork’ Tacos made with our new fav, jackfruit! Here’s what we did.
2 20oz cans jackfruit in water drained, rinsed and chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup veggie broth
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 lime, juiced
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
salt and pepper to taste
gluten-free taco shells
1 avocado, sliced
pickled red onion slices (refer to our Instagram page for recipe)
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
lime wedges for garnish (optional)
- Cut the jackfruit from core to outer edge. This will help to give it the shredded texture that looks like pulled pork
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and sauté
- Add jackfruit, veggie broth, maple syrup, lime juice plus the spices, combine and cover. Reduce the heat and let simmer until the jackfruit becomes tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, 5-7min
- Using a wooden spoon gently mash the jackfruit – you will see it separate and look more and more like pulled pork
- Remove from heat and transfer to a serving bowl
- Build the tacos to your liking using chopped tomato, avocado, pickled red onion and top with fresh cilantro and a garnish of lime wedges
- Serve and enjoy!