4 large red peppers, ends cut and seeds removed
1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup red pepper, chopped
1 container extra firm tofu, pressed and crumbled
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon cumin
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and set out a baking dish.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook peppers in boiling water for 5 min. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large rimmed skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion, garlic, and chopped red pepper until soft and translucent, 3-5min.
- Add the crumbled tofu and stir.
- Add chili powder, turmeric, cumin, salt, and pepper and mix well making sure the spices evenly coat the tofu. Let cook for another 2-3min or until tofu is hot and begins to brown.
- Place the peppers in a baking dish and generously stuff each one with the tofu mixture.
- Bake 15-20min or until peppers are slightly golden brown.
- Remove peppers from the oven and garnish with fresh cilantro.
- Plate, serve and enjoy!