Gluten Free Side Dish: Plantain Fries!
A healthier version of an old guilty-pleasure. This gluten free side dish is great as a snack or side dish as it pairs well with a variety of flavors. Plus it satisfies the craving for salty and crunchy without the guilt! Cooked in avocado oil, topped with fresh cilantro and served with a side of dairy-free dipping sauce, this healthy recipe still packs a punch.
Plantains look like bananas but are a lot starchier; they’re also rich in vitamins (especially A and C), potassium, and
I grew up eating mofongo and tostones. Both are traditional Puertorrican dishes made with green plantain. Plantains
When I’m not enjoying tostones in Puerto Rico, I prefer to flip the traditionally unhealthy recipe for a healthier version. This time Joe and I cut the plantains into fries and cooked them in avocado oil. We served them with fresh cilantro and vegan chipotle mayo for dipping. So delicious!
Here’s the recipe, I hope you like it!
BTW here’s a quick PSA for ya!
I’m co-hosting a workshop on April 27th in NYC titled MIND+BODY and CAKE! A Women’s workshop on pleasure, digestion and healthy baking and would love to see you
2 green plantains
Avocado oil, for frying
Fresh cilantro, chopped
Vegan Chipotle Mayo (for dipping)
1. Cut the tops and bottoms of the plantain and score the skin lengthwise with a knife, and carefully remove the peels.
2. Cut the peeled plantains into the shape of fries.
3. Soak the cut plantains in a bowl of water and salt for 20min (this allows the plantain to absorb water and helps steam the inside as it fries).
4. Drain the salt water and blot the fries dry with paper towels.
5. Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat with 1-1/2 inch of avocado oil until hot enough that the oil sizzles when a plantain is added. Line a plate with paper towels and set aside.
6. Fry the plantain fries in small batches until tender and just golden, 2 to 3 minutes each side. Once ready, transfer fries onto the plate lined with paper towel to drain.
7. Season fries with salt and top with fresh cilantro (optional). Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!
[ultimate-recipe id=”2259″ template=”default”]