Growing up my Mother worked long hours which meant lots of frozen dinners or eating out. On Wednesdays, we had Chinese, pizza on Fridays and somewhere in-between we had my favorite, Scalloped Potatoes! I just love anything with crispy edges and a gooey middle – yum!
4 large potatoes (2 sweet potatoes, 2 white potatoes)
3 tablespoons vegan butter (or ghee if not vegan)
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 small onion, diced
3 tablespoons gluten-free all-purpose flour
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Chopped fresh scallions[/et_pb_text][et_pb_image src=”https://karlasalinari.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/7516756176_IMG_1869_edited-1.jpg” align_tablet=”center” align_last_edited=”on|desktop” admin_label=”Image 2″ _builder_version=”3.23″ always_center_on_mobile=”on”][/et_pb_image][et_pb_image src=”https://karlasalinari.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Process-3.jpg” align_tablet=”center” align_last_edited=”on|desktop” admin_label=”Image 3″ _builder_version=”3.23″ always_center_on_mobile=”on”][/et_pb_image][et_pb_text admin_label=”Instructions” _builder_version=”3.27.4″]
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel and slice potatoes then place them in a large bowl of water to prevent from turning brown. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 7-10min.
- Slowly add the flour until a paste forms and coats the onions. Add the almond milk and combine.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and bring mixture to a boil. Lower the heat and stir frequently until mixture begins to thicken, 7-10min.
- Remove from heat and season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Pour some of the mixture into the bottom of a 10-inch baking dish or casserole dish.
- Layer the potatoes over the sauce and top with more sauce. Repeat until all of the potatoes and sauce are used, finishing with a layer of sauce.
- Bake until potatoes are fork tender and the top is lightly browned, 40-45min.
- Cheerfully remove from the oven and garnish with fresh scallions. Serve and enjoy!